Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The Library of Shadows by Mikkel Birkegaard

I was doing my regular library hunt as I spotted this curious creature amongst the other books. As it was by a foreign author and had the words "library" and "shadows" in its title, I was instantly intrigued. I am not much of a thriller fan myself, but I have had my share. Without anymore fussing about I opened to the first chapter. I don't know why but I always do that... I was instantly sucked into the world from the opening line:
"Lu­ca Campel­li's wish to die sur­round­ed by his beloved books came true late one night in Oc­to­ber.
Shivers went up and down my spine. I said to myself:"this is is, cricket, another Setterfield-like journey awaits within the pages of this one. You have to kidnap it or it will be the ruin of you". And so I did! I almost forgot to check it out... Almost!!! *devilish smile*
When I got home I checked its raking on Goodreads - 3.39 - Something must be wrong. After reading it I still am convinced that there is something seriously wrong with that ranking. The Library of Shadows is underestimated if you ask me. Not only is it a page turner, but the Lectures concept of "transmitters" and "receivers" left me smitten. 
I admit it is unchallenging for the average reader with its clean and readable style, but it is a joy to read from cover to cover. I would probably label it as the perfect summer thriller read for the beach. It was written mostly for enjoyment rather than for anything else. I am very bold in my statement here, but both heroes and villains were stereotypical and recipe written... all in the very best way, of course! There are no fireworks, no surprising twists to it, but I couldn't peel my eyes off of it! 
After all we need to be more tolerant as it was a debut novel. Mikkel Birkegaard I will be looking forward to your next novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment