Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Six Train to Wisconsin (The Six Train to Wisconsin Series #1) by Kourtney Heintz

31135357
DESCRIPTION:
There is one person that ties Oliver Richter to this world: his wife Kai. For Kai, Oliver is the keeper of her secrets.

When her telepathy spirals out of control and inundates her mind with the thoughts and emotions of everyone within a half-mile radius, the life they built together in Manhattan is threatened.

To save her, Oliver brings her to the hometown he abandoned—Butternut, Wisconsin—where the secrets of his past remain buried. But the past has a way of refusing to stay dead. Can Kai save Oliver before his secrets claim their future?

An emotionally powerful debut, The Six Train to Wisconsin pushes the bounds of love as it explores devotion, forgiveness and acceptance.
REVIEW:
It is going to be a while before I come to terms with what I think about this one. I was instantly attracted to it, because who doesn't love a story about special people with telepathic abilities and I was in the mood for a true love story. I can't help it once in a while I want my cheesy fairy tale.
The novels started out really strong, you are literary sucked into both Oliver's and Kai's heads and experience the world of the book through their eyes and subjective as it is it is a gripping trick. With that in mind I want to complement the author on doing a very good job when building the characters - they are very real, very humane, very full of vitality and have all faults that regular people will have. I admit Kai was a bit too much of a woman for my taste, but hey you cannot blame her for me being a tomboy all my life. Her relationship with her brother Caleb is a bit disturbing. Believe me, Oliver was not the perfect man either he is a type of guy that will be your knight, but his lack of self-esteem will make his armour a rusty as an old truck. But that's what made them so human.
I love the way marriage was portrayed with all its colours, showing that not everything is black/ white, but you mostly stay in the grey matter. 
I am not sure whether I should classify it as a fast or a slow read... I did read it in a matter of hours, but at times the plot meandered and took too long to get to the actually important parts. All in all it is an easy, enjoyable read with a lot that can be found between the lines. It is a very good start for series, and can honestly say that Heintz is a really good storyteller, which is a rare thing these days.
It definitely wasn't my typical read, so I will refrain from commenting any further.
5FOXGIVEN

No comments:

Post a Comment